Your involvement in CYCLING FOR CHILDREN will help to save children’s lives all over the world. Your participation allows us to take a step closer to making the world a better place for children.
We still live in a world where 15,000 children under the age of five die every day from illnesses that could have been prevented, such as pneumonia, diarrhoea and malaria. And almost half the deaths are attributable to malnourishment.
However, there is also good news: last year the figure was 16,000, while 30 years ago no fewer than 37,000 children died every day – and the world population has grown considerably since then. The work of UNICEF makes a difference – and events like CYCLING FOR CHILDREN help improve the situation for children around the world.
For instance, in 2016, UNICEF managed to:
- Provide 2.5 billion immunization vaccines for children in almost 100 countries
- Supply 29 million people in humanitarian crisis regions with safe water, including 3.7 million in Syria alone
- Successfully treat 3 million children with severe acute malnutrition, including 2.5 million in regions of conflict and crisis
- Provide 8.3 million children with micronutrients to prevent chronic malnutrition
- Treat 70 percent of all HIV-infected pregnant women and 49 percent of all infected children with antiretroviral medicine
UNICEF has more than 70 years’ experience in working with developing countries and providing help in emergencies. The goal of the United Nations children’s charity is to ensure that all children are given a safe and healthy start in life. Even the death of one child is one too many.
With people like you, we can help to ensure that children survive. Your commitment counts. No mountain is too high! Register now and start your own sponsorship fundraising.